Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Life// Post Holidays Cleanse

Did you indulge a little over the holidays? I sure did. I usually don't eat any sugar and I crammed quite a bit of chocolate into three days over Christmas. All that excess has left me feeling a little sluggish and wanting a bit of a cleanse. In comes my go to, super healthy, chicken and vegetable soup. You'll love it, I promise. Vegetable Soup

You will need:

  • 1 onion
  • 3 largish cloves of garlic
  • 3 cans of tomatoes
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 floret of broccoli
  • Quarter of a largish pumpkin
  • Basil leaves (dried or fresh)
  • Chilli flakes to suit your taste
  • Tumeric powder
  • Salt
  • Water
  • Poached or steamed chicken breast 
Dice onions and garlic; saute in a large pot with chilli flakes and basil. Cut veggies up into large chunks and add to pot; stir until coated in onion/garlic/chilli/basil mixture. Add canned tomatoes plus 4 cans of water. Stir in a tablespoon of turmeric powder and a teaspoon or so of salt; you can add pepper also but I find you don't need it with the chilli. 

This will need to simmer on a low heat for around about an hour and a half. If it looks too thick, add more water. Once all veggies are soft and mush able you can take a wiz stick or a blender and puree the soup. 

Serve with diced chicken breast for that hit of lean protein, and if you are in the mood, a slice of thick crusty sourdough bread. 

This soup is a great kick start for a sluggish body; the chilli is good for your metabolism and turmeric is excellent for inflammation and heart and brain health. I make enormous batches and freeze it so I always have some on hand for those days I just can't be bothered cooking, which is like, everyday. Also, you can add any other veggies you like if these don't suit.

Adieu to you and you and you x

Photobucket Facebook Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I just agreed to a Detox with my friends, so this soup is perfect for me. Thank you for sharing. I know what you mean...I do feel sluggish after New Year. Out with the old and in with the new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. My dad and I are actually making a really good chicken noodle soup right now! And by 'I', I mean I'm tasting while he's baking. If I can pry the recipe from him, I'll send you an email. This soup looks amazing and I think you'd really like ours!

    ReplyDelete

Love it? Comments make me happy so don't be shy. And since I try to reply to all my comments, remember to click 'subscribe by email' to get updates on my replies!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...